The Iowa Bankers Association has partnered with ICAN, a nonprofit, educational organization, to bring free in-depth financial aid training to bank personnel statewide. The Financial Aid/FAFSA Certification Professional Development training is designed specifically for Iowa banks, and provides the tools needed to offer professional and accurate advice to customers looking to maximize funding for college. This free training will establish banks as an essential partner with families as they explore ways to fund education and training after high school. The half-day training starts with understanding basic financial aid terminology and progresses into easy-to-understand segments, including:
- Defining types of financial aid.
- Understanding financial aid timelines.
- Understanding how to determine financial need.
- How to complete the FAFSA (federal form to determine eligibility for aid).
- How to interpret financial aid award packages.
- Funding options for students and parents.
- How to talk to students and parents about college costs.
- Understanding student loans.
Each training begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at noon. Three free webinars will be offered on:
Upon completion of the training, participants will receive a marketing toolkit with resources to help them promote their new capability. The toolkit includes statement stuffer content, social media posts and website posts.