Student winners each received a $1,000 scholarship to the college of their choice
JOHNSTON, IOWA (Nov. 29, 2021) — Seven Iowa high school seniors received a 2021 Iowa Bankers Association Student Athlete Achievement Award during the Iowa high school state football championships held this month in Cedar Falls. One student from each class was presented with a $1,000 scholarship from the IBA to the college of his choice.
Scholarship recipients include:
- Eight Player: Zach Schmitz, WACO High School, Wayland
- Class A: Mathew Francis, West Hancock High School, Britt
- Class 1A: Conner Grover, Beckman Catholic High School, Dyersville
- Class 2A: Tayler Luzum, North Fayette Valley High School, West Union
- Class 3A: Keegan Schmitt, Independence High School, Independence
- Class 4A: Carter Erickson, Indianola High School, Indianola
- Class 5A: David Roberts, Dowling Catholic High School, West Des Moines
Scholarship recipients are selected each year based on their academic performance, athletic participation, leadership skills and community involvement.
“We are honored to recognize these high school seniors. Not only do they demonstrate leadership and dedication to their teams, but also to their communities,” said Tara Deering-Hansen, the IBA’s vice president of marketing and communications. “Iowa bankers support Iowans’ financial goals. And these scholarships are beneficial in more ways than one — because our hope is that after graduation, these students will continue to use their skills and talents right here in our Iowa communities.”
For three decades, the IBA has sponsored the Student Athlete Achievement Award program, which has grown to honor student athletes in football, basketball and wrestling. The IBA has awarded more than $285,000 in scholarships since the program began in 1990.
The recorded scholarship presentations can be viewed on the IBA Facebook page.