Formal project management techniques improve an organization’s chances of completing projects successfully. We’ll review research-based techniques that you can use when managing and when sponsoring projects that will lead to successful outcomes. This course is designed to provide tools and techniques for successfully managing a medium to large scale project and how to monitor the “health” of your project throughout the process.
In session 1, we’ll review the elements of a project that will expose you to many of the common problems that can occur in medium to large scale projects. We’ll then use this experience to highlight current research on how to avoid common project pitfalls.
Topics explored include:
- Managing the classic constraints of project management: schedule constraints, budget constraints, and scope of deliverables and the quality of the deliverables.
- Managing and scheduling staffing resources throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Techniques that can help teams identify the most important business requirements of any future system.
- Managing projects that include new technologies.
In session 2 we’ll explore common causes and symptoms of project failure and introduce a framework that can be used to measure the “health” of your projects. The framework can be used as a tool to help with project selection or as an instrument to detect that the project is in trouble.
Topics covered include:
- Signs of trouble for large, intermediate, and small projects.
- Risks associated with projects that can lead to troubled projects.
- Steps you can take to start to get your troubled projects back on track.
After completing this course, attendees will be able to:
- Identify the best, research-based, techniques for managing a project
- Understand and manage constraints throughout the project process
- Assess the “health” of a project throughout the project lifecycle
Target Audience: Any employee involved in project management in the bank