On May 29, 2013, the U.S. Department of Treasury, along with several federal agencies, including the Social Security Administration, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Railroad Retirement Board, and the Office of Personnel Management, published the Rule on the Garnishment of Accounts Containing Federal Benefit Payments. The rule supersedes the laws of many states pertaining to how financial institutions process garnishments. It will also apply to the processing of state tax levies and warrants.
- A general review of the requirements for processing garnishments and state tax levies under the rule;
- The special terminology that applies;
- The detailed steps financial institutions need to take when processing garnishment and levy requests;
- Examples of how the rules impact garnishment and levy answers, and hold amounts;
- Model language and sample forms that can be used when providing notice pursuant to the rules.
Who Should Attend?
Compliance officers, legal counsel and financial institution personnel who process garnishment answers.